*This post contains affiliate links
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! How many dishes of ice cream have you consumed this summer? Too many to count? Yeah, me too. Perfecting your homemade ice cream technique is totally worth it and makes this heat so much more bearable!
I used my mom’s awesome new ice cream maker for this recipe. You can buy it here from Amazon. It’s pretty slick. All you have to do is keep the canisters in the freezer, pour the ice cream mixture in, and turn it on. No ice, no salt, no problems. Except that you might make ice cream too often. I highly recommend it.
The pictures that I included in this post are of a barbecue that my parents hosted. My mom displayed the ice cream in little mason jars and set them on ice to keep them cold. It was 100 degrees out so we kept the ice cream in the freezer until the guests where done with dinner. Nothing can stay cool in this heat!!
The recipe below is a base recipe for vanilla ice cream. This recipe is awesome all by itself but there are TONS of ways to mix it up a bit. I wrote up what we did for the party and a few more ideas that would be super yummy. Give them a try and shoot me and email with your favorite mix-ins. I’m always in the market for new ideas!
- Add 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries to the vanilla recipe
- If you are using frozen berries add them to the blender with the rest of the ingredients. If you are using fresh berries, fold them into the ice cream mixture before adding it to the ice cream maker
Mint Chocolate Chip
- Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon mint extract to the vanilla recipe
- Fold in 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips to the ice cream mixture before transferring to the ice cream maker
- Add 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce to the blender with the rest of the ice cream ingredients
Other Fun Add Ins
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter or Biscoff Spread
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes and 2 teaspoons coconut extract